Cordillera coffees

Cordillera coffees

Cordillera coffees

Look what arrived in the mail today! Four arabica green coffee beans from the Cordillera region up north in Luzon island. As usual, I got these from Serenity Coffee, who has been my almost sole supplier of local green beans.

L-R: La Trinidad, Bobok, Yaygan and Shilan.

They look promising. Minimal defects, just a few broken beans. Not much of the borer holes.

To the roaster right away!!! Then cupping tomorrow. These are half-kilo sampler packs that I paid for. Whichever I like, I’ll hoard a year’s worth of supply. :-)

Cordillera Bobok

Cordillera Bobok

Cordillera La Trinidad

Cordillera La Trinidad

Cordillera Shilan

Cordillera Shilan

Cordillera Yaygan

Cordillera Yaygan

By looking at the beans, let me guess that the Bobok and Shilan will cup better than the other two. Haha! This ain’t scientific in any way, just maybe experience may prove me right. That better looking beans — no defects, no deformities, no borer holes — usually cup better, but not always. Maybe it means the farmer cared more for the beans? But if he started with a bad variety in the first place, and in the wrong location, looks could be deceiving. Like, the Yemen beans, they vary in sizes, not clean looking, dried in the roofs, but still my favorites.

We’ll see … I should have a verdict by tomorrow.

Comments

6 Responses to “Cordillera coffees”

1. benson on March 13th, 2009 11:18 pm

Bob, kumusta ang sagada?

2. Martin on March 16th, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi Bob!

I can’t wait to hear the verdict on this. I think you’ve adopted a great strategy by going with the sampler packs first and buying more after you’ve had a ‘test-run’.

Happy roasting!

3. Bobby on March 16th, 2009 10:05 pm

Okay, here’s the verdict — among the 4, I scored Bobok highest. Haha! So my prediction was right. :-) It was a tie for Shilan and Yaygan, and La Trinidad last. I can have Shilan or Yaygan as my staple coffee, but not La Trinidad. I should write a post on the “cupping” we did in Davao, coz Bob Martin liked the Bobok most, too.

4. Mindanao Bob on March 17th, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi ‘ngay – I ordered 5 Kg of Bobok from Serenity today. You’re right, it was the best!

Yeah, write up an article about the cupping we did here. I was going to write it up myself, but decided to not spoil the thunder, so you go ahead on this one.

We had a small cupping here on Sunday with expat friends. Bobok scored nicely on Sunday too.

5. Bobby on March 17th, 2009 7:19 pm

Hey ngay, you go ahead and write it. I couldn’t have the time yet. Deadlines hounding me, and then the PeeCee is acting up. Need to reformat-reinstall tonight.

6. jhing on February 19th, 2010 6:15 pm

I wanted to buy 20 kilos of cordillera coffee and 20 kilos of arabica coffee too.
    I am willing to visit the Place in northeren Luzon to get this green coffee beans.Please email me back as soon as possible.or contact me at 032 – 417 9629

Thank you so much!