Beans from Kalinga-Apayao

Kalinga beans roasted

Kalinga beans roasted

Whoa, been over a month since my last post. Was busy working on a project, a mini-coffee table book (no, nothing to do with coffee, hehe), so I was out of town most of the time. (If you’re curious what that project is, see the PDF file here. Warning: that’s 3.5mb, so your computer may freeze for a few seconds until all is downloaded. So it might be wise for you to right-click on the link, save it to your PC and read with Adobe Reader or Mac’s Preview, instead of looking at it from inside the browser.)

Last month I traded beans with a friend, a fellow roaster here in Iligan. Half a pound of my favorite Ethiopian Harrar, and 2 kinds of Peppo’s green beans he got from a food fair in Manila. Both are from up north, in the Cordilleras I suppose.

One coffee I didn’t bother remembering, coz it really sucked. I can’t drink it at all.

But the other one, from Kalinga-Apayao, I liked. Not in the league of specialty grade you can buy from online shops. But if I’m out of cash, I can drink this coffee every day.

I suspect this must be last year’s harvest, coz they looked too dried up. And when roasted, there’s this mixture of light and dark beans, so maybe these are beans from various farms/farmers and then all combined together. I’m also surprised why this coffee produces a lot of bloom when brewed, even days after roast. Unusual.

Peppo later let me buy 2 kilos from his stash. Maybe I’ll get 5 more from the vendor in Kalinga, and watch the next crops. If you’re interested, the supplier is Nor-Ref Food Products-Kalinga Brew of Tabuk City, Kalinga-Apayao.

Here’s how they look raw …

Raw Kalinga beans

Raw Kalinga beans

Comments

7 Responses to “Beans from Kalinga-Apayao”

1. Mindanao Bob on August 3rd, 2009 7:24 pm

I was sitting here looking at your pic of the roasted beans, thinking to myself… “why are they so unevenly roasted, I know that Bobby is using a system that should roast more evenly than that!” Then you went on to explain how the bean age seems to contribute to this. Interesting…

Regarding the bloom, I have noticed that every Philippine Coffee, and also every Indonesian Coffee that I’ve ever tried produces a very big bloom. When I tried this Kalinga beans (which you sent me, thanks), I was also very surprised by the huge bloom. I see the same from Bobok, Sumatra and Sulawesi beans.

2. benson on August 3rd, 2009 9:30 pm

Bob, asa mas lami? benguet or kalinga?

3. Bobby on August 4th, 2009 11:48 pm

@Ngay, I don’t see that much bloom in the other beans, unless of course it’s roastead dark, and too fresh a roast. But this Kalinga beans, even days after, still a huge bloom.

@Benz, wow, been a long time since I last had Benguet. But I think I like the Kalinga more.

4. Mindanao Bob on August 5th, 2009 12:54 pm

Really? I’m surprised you don’t experience a big bloom on the Bobok, because I always felt that it showed a huge bloom. But, certainly not as much as Kalinga! You almost have to leave room in the french press for the bloom, so it won’t grow over the top! :lol:

5. Bonedoc on September 8th, 2009 8:30 pm

Bob, I did my first ever home roast and brew of this local bean from Kalinga. I pan roasted it for around 17 minutes, just after the 2nd crack. I got similar mixed light and dark brown roasted beans, no black roast though. I had it kept in a ziplock for 3 days before grinding it. I got near homogeneous ground beans and then used aeropress to brew it. Yup I noticed the bloom too. I really cant compare it to any other local beans since I have yet to try other local beans. But what I’m sure of the strong acidic, bitter taste i get from it. Is this the natural “cupping” taste? or I’m missing something else? I’m not pretty sure I’m doing the right roast and brew but I’ll try to brew using french press tomorrow. Then I’ll compare.

6. Bobby on September 9th, 2009 2:52 am

doc, you don’t roast up to “after the 2nd crack.” that’s charcoal already. maybe after the 1st crack?

ziplock isn’t the container for roasted beans. foil bags with valve are best, but difficult to find. otherwise, look for those glass cookie jars with rubber gasket to ensure a very good seal. but every now and then you have to open it to let the gas leak, especially within the 1st day of roast.

meantime, practice makes perfect.

maybe i’ll send you some beans i roasted myself. in the next few days. still too busy here. … :-)

7. Bonedoc on September 9th, 2009 8:51 am

hmm…hope i was just wrong on what I know as 2nd “crack”. I’ll roast again in small amounts…Hopefully practice makes better roast!