My travel coffee paraphernalia

kopigear

I’m now on the third week of a month-long photographic assignment all over the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM), all five provinces of them — Maguindanao, Lanao del Sur, Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-tawi.

I may be on the road for so long a time, and it’s tiring work with frequent travel on the worst roads and on the worst boats. But coffee helps me along the way, and I’m still enjoying my specialty coffee. How? I brought with me my coffee gear!

Aside from my clothes in a big travel bag and my camera gear in a LowePro backpack, I brought along another backpack containing my coffee paraphernalia.

What’s in the bag?

• AeroPress kit. This is my coffee maker of choice during travels. It’s made of plastic, so it won’t break no matter what you do. It brews coffee in less than a minute. It’s easy to cleanup, soap not needed, just running water.
  • 3D AromaPlus blade grinder. I use a Bodum burr grinder at home, but you can’t bring a grinder that bulky and heavy for travel. Since I use a coffee maker with paper filter, a cheapo blade grinder can do the job.
  • Porcelain cup and teaspoon.
  • Hometech electric water heater
  • Muscovado sugar in small individual packets
  • And of course, roasted coffee beans in foil bags with one-way valve. Shown in photo is an Ethiopia Sidamo.

When I left Iligan last Aug. 9, I had a pound of Colombia Monserrate and half a pound of Sumatra Aceh coffees. If I were alone, that may have been enough. But I invite friends for coffee along the way, so all those beans were gone by the end of the second week. Glad that MindanaoBob was kind enough to let me roast in his kitchen so I’d have coffee along the way. So now I have some Ethiopian Sidamo, and yet another Ethiopian coffee that we’re not sure what exactly, but still tasted like a Sidamo.

So there, I’m hoping I’d have enough beans till the end of this shoot.

Kape ta bay!!!

Comments

10 Responses to “My travel coffee paraphernalia”

1. benson on August 25th, 2009 8:42 pm

Bob, asa ka palit sa 3D blade grinder?

2. Mindanao Bob on August 26th, 2009 4:48 pm

Wow, now you are even blogging from the road too! Amazing! ha ha….

I just posted pictures on my site from my trip to Dinagat Island. I didn’t bring any coffee with me, though. :wink:

3. Mindanao Bob on August 26th, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi Benson – Kumusta ka? Since Bobby is on the road, I hope he won’t mind, I will answer your question. I have that same 3D grinder myself. I got it for P500 at Gaisano Mall in Davao City. I think Bobby got his at Gaisano in CdO, or possibly in Iligan.

4. benson on August 26th, 2009 6:35 pm

Ok thanks, Mindanao Bob. Is the blade grinder locally made? Is the manufacturer same as the manufacturer of 3D electric fans?

5. Bobby on August 26th, 2009 7:53 pm

Yeah, I think locally made, and same maker as the 3D fans, rice cookers, etc. Thanks, ‘Ngay, for answering in my behalf. :-)

6. Martin on August 30th, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi Bob,

You amaze me! I love coffee, but I’ve never taken the time to make a travel kit for bean and brew! Now you’ve got me thinking I should be doing the same! Happy travels!

Martin

7. Bonedoc on September 1st, 2009 8:08 pm

Bob,

Our drug ( of choice: coffee) pusher par excellence. I got the aeropress now! Yey, I’m getting those portable grinder tomorrow, we’d be grinder hunting in divisoria. Then I can start of with “teaching my taste buds, about beans and my nose about aroma..” So now, where do I get those “local” beans?

8. Bobby on September 3rd, 2009 9:52 pm

yey, bonedoc! finally! follow that “serenity coffee” link on my blogroll. check also my previous post on kalinga-apayao beans, there’s a link there for another supplier. meantime, text me your mailing address so i can send you some beans. :-)

9. Roel on December 25th, 2009 12:27 pm

My travel kit also consists of an aeropress, but my grinder is a Zassenhaus burr mill I got off ebay. It’s a turkish mill type and very compact (fits inside the aeropress!). Grind is very even and can be set to talcum fine. I also have a tiny heating iron and a stainless steel mug where I can heat water directly.

10. Bobby on December 26th, 2009 8:31 am

wow, a geek here! haven’t thought of that zass, but should be cool. i used to carry a clipper international grinder that i got from amazon, should be as small as the zass. but it’s tiring work to grind. so that’s why i opted to go electric. unless i plan to go up the mountains, then i’d bring the manual grinder. for heating water, i heard there’s a small black&decker that can do half a liter. my kettle now is 1liter, which is BIG. but a heating iron, that’s some idea. :-)