A pink plunger, a milk frother and a moka pot

gadgets-brocken

Got lucky once more with Brockenhaus, that surplus shop selling items from Switzerland and other European countries, with branches in Cagayan de Oro and Ozamiz.

We dropped by their Cagayan de Oro branch last Tuesday, and I found these three items.

Left, is a, um, pink 8-cup Bodum French press. I already got enough French presses, and I’m no fan of the color pink (I can guess my coffee will taste differently, hehe), but I got it just the same. I’m only after the glass carafe, just in case mine breaks. A friend wants the pink, so I’d trade that if she can get me another Bodum, we’ll just trade the pink case. Notice that there are also 2 Bodum coffee scoops. Not that I need them, coz I use a digital scale to measure my coffee to be brewed in a French press. But nice to have. It was priced at P168.

Middle, at first I thought it’s yet another French press, coz it’s so similar to my Bodum Chambord. But the filter is different, and it’s shorter. To my surprise, it’s a Chambord milk frother! Perfect for home-made latte or cappuccino. I already have a battery-operated Aerolatte Chinese copy, but this looks so cool. Priced at P250.  $40 online.

Right, is a 6-cup stainless steel moka pot from Bialetti, the coffeemaker of choice in the homes of coffee country Italy. I already have the aluminum version, which I don’t use, but is nice to look at in my coffee rack. But this stainless steel version is recommended by SweetMarias, supposedly better, with a better food-grade material. Maybe time to explore this brewer some more! Priced at P680.

Total should be P1,098, and that’s already a bargain, considering that the moka pot alone is already almost $50. After a few haggling, I got all of them for P825!

Kape ta bay!!!

Comments

12 Responses to “A pink plunger, a milk frother and a moka pot”

1. Benson on November 5th, 2009 8:51 pm

Bob, how many grams of coffee do you use for french press?

2. Bobby on November 6th, 2009 7:16 am

I’ve been using the Aeropress for a while, and last night I used the 8cup Bodum coz I had some visitors. Murag nalipong ko gamay. And now with your question, I found out I’ve been using too much coffee for my French press brew. I’m using a 5oz cup, and I must have used 10-12gm per cup, when sweetmarias recommends 7.5gm. Hehe … I’m lucky coz the pink French press that I got comes with Bodum scoops, 1 scoop per 5oz cup.

3. Steve A on November 11th, 2009 12:40 am

Wow, great deal!

4. zaldy dy on January 10th, 2010 8:25 am

hi bro. may i ask for contact info/ address/tel/mobile? if any? for Brockenhaus CDO, been looking for them lately. tnx. really aprreciate your help. -zaldz/manila/09225460901

5. Bobby on January 11th, 2010 7:23 am

i don’t have their #, but if you’re coming from downtown cdo, crossing that long bridge going to iligan, right after the bridge you turn right (just before makro), then watch out for the “Jetti 500m” sign on your right. once you see that sign (just the sign, not the gas station), you turn left, until you get to the rough road, all the way till deadend. when there’s no other way but to your left, there you’ll see brockenhauz.

6. Jj Lumagbas on January 17th, 2010 2:06 am

your blog (and mindanao bob’s) is like an oasis of good coffee in the middle of our nescafe 3-in-1 desert country. haha. finally i’ve found other filipinos who share this passion (bisaya pa gyud)!

i’m subscribing to your rss feeds and look forward to following you around for a while, while i sip my stale ethiopian sidamo from starbucks (best i can do for now) and pick up the courage to follow your path of finding green beans and roasting and enjoying them myself. keep the posts coming. :)

7. zaldy dy on January 17th, 2010 10:08 am

hi. got it. thanks very much for your inputs. really appreciate it.
    enjoy your coffee! Kape ta bay! -zaldy

8. rex alamban on January 31st, 2010 7:21 pm

bay, i got a bodum press here in amman (jordan) for around 2,000 pesos… you got a really good deal. if you happen to stray around here, drop me a call, mangape ta hehehe

9. Bobby on February 8th, 2010 7:26 pm

layua na pud nimo noy uy!!!

10. Martin on October 20th, 2010 11:19 pm

wow. you got that large bodum press for less than P500? you are one lucky man!

but what i’m reaaaaally lusting after is your moka pot…

11. ivy on January 17th, 2012 7:14 pm

wher do i access the bread maker manual?

12. Bobby on March 4th, 2012 8:54 pm