Manual pourover drip brewing

The 3 Melittas, after cleaning

The 3 Melittas, after cleaning

If there’s a simple way of brewing coffee, probably manual pourover drip brewers are the simplest. And the cheapest. Just pour hot water into the grinds, which sit on a cone filter, then let it drip into the cup and, voila! Great coffee using the simplest of process, the cheapest of equipment.

Well, maybe using socks would be cheaper. Hehe…

I’ve heard and read a lot about pourovers, but they weren’t easy to find around here. Melitta is a popular brand, especially its porcelain cone filter, but the Melittas I could find in neighboring Cagayan de Oro are the plastic drippers for travellers, the Ready Set Joe Travel Mug. I almost got one about a year ago from Robinson’s, but backed out. Then forgot about it.

Then a few weeks ago we happened to drop by our favorite surplus shop – Brockenhaus in Ozamiz City. There I chanced upon a few porcelain Melittas, and got the smallest one available, labelled “Melitta 101.” A single cupper, I later learned. For a bargain price of 75 pesos!

And when I got home I started reading more about pourovers, and talked about my find in the forums. The experts said I should have bought the whole bunch, coz they were selling for such a bargain. Unfortunately, Ozamiz ain’t that easily accessible from where I live, as it needs some driving and crossing the sea.

Oh well … but Brockenhaus has a branch in Cagayan de Oro, which is more accessible. The CDO branch, however, doesn’t have much of the Melittas. But there were two 2-cuppers (labelled 1×2) available, one a porcelain, the other made of plastic. I got both, the plastic (45 pesos) for me, and the porcelain (75 pesos) for a fellow coffeegeek from Manila.

Trying out the Melitta

Trying out the Melitta

Problem was, I had a hard time looking for filters in this part of the world. But my friend the coffeegeek volunteered to get me some in Manila, and shipped with some Guatemalan beans. Thank you very much!

I like this brewer’s simplicity. And a very clean cup. Aside from the fact that it’s so easy to clean the filter cone afterwards.

My usual brewer these days is the Aeropress, which also gives me a clean cup unlike the French press, which leaves grinds at the bottom of your cup. I love the Aero coz it makes coffee quick. But it can only make 2-3 cups at a time. So the Aero for our morning coffee, for me and my wife, or every time just the two of us having coffee. And the French press for 4 or more people, like during parties. The pourover ain’t as quick as the Aero, but is quicker than the French press. My problem with the Aero, though, is it requires more coffee than the usual brewing methods. Coffee, like gasoline, is ain’t getting cheaper, y’know.

I’m still experimenting with the pourover, like finetuning the grinder setting, and testing various coffees with it. I read it even requires some skill in pouring the water into the grinds, and some geeks would prefer using a $50 kettle just for it.

Comments

8 Responses to “Manual pourover drip brewing”

1. Stelle on March 8th, 2011 11:54 am

Hi there!! I’ve been reading your blogs for quite some time now.. I’ve been very passionate about coffee since my friend introduced it to me. Stumbling on to your blogs and reading them makes me want to venture more on making and drinking coffee. I am very much interested in buying some equipments from Brockenhaus, learning that they sell a variety of cheap tools for coffee making that you don’t get to find in malls. However, the problem is I reside here in Manila, and going to Ozamis just to go to Brockenhaus would I think defeat the purpose of buying cheap equipments (I think.. hehe)… Is there anyway I can purchase stuffs from them without ever going to CDO or Ozamis? A website maybe.. Thanks so much for your blogs! I’m learning a lot and still having fun reading it over and over.

2. Bobby on March 9th, 2011 9:45 am

brockenhaus is basically a mom-and-pop kind of shop, or even more primitive. maybe a relative in switzerland or elswhere is sending them truckloads of european junk. then they just sell them to a price they pluck from out of nowhere. i doubt if they even do inventory. it’s basically an ukay-ukay kind of shop, but with a more permanent location.

and no, i wouldn’t advise you to go to ozamiz or cagayan de oro hoping you could get coffee gear from brockenhaus. i join my wife going there every now and then, and it’s not like i can get something every time we visit. but maybe next time i’ll drop by, i’ll hoard what i can get that are still usable, and send them to hobbyists like you and a few friends. you just refund me cost + shipping.

3. Stelle on March 18th, 2011 1:06 pm

Hey bobby! That is so kind of you! Thanks so much! If you chance on a bialetti (if they have), moka pot, manual grinder and/or milk frother, I’d be very very happy to have them. Please do contact me as soon as you get a hold of those for me. Thank you! =)

4. Jeff on July 26th, 2011 8:14 am

Bobby-

I’m glad I stumbled across your blog! I’ve now read everything before the jumps, and many things after that. We share a taste preference as I too love the Ethiopian beans. I’m learning to roast using a hot air popcorn popper in very small batches. It’s a lot of fun. Thanks for doing this blog!

5. Bobby on July 27th, 2011 9:42 pm

yey, spread the hobby to everyone you know who loves coffee! if the hot air popcorn popper is availabe here, i may wanna try that, too. you can buy that gadget in manila?

6. M1 on October 11th, 2011 10:15 pm

I am interested to visit Brokenhaus… an address maybe would help alot… thank you. :)

7. Bobby on November 5th, 2011 8:30 pm

I don’t have the addresses but I know how to get there. For the Ozamiz branch, it’s along the highway going to Tangub from Ozamiz, left side, maybe 5 kms from downtown Ozamiz. Don’t know what the place is called, but the shop is spelled BROKENHAUS. The one in Cagayan de Oro, from downtown, go to the highway (CM Recto Ave.), cross the big bridge crossing the Cagayan de Oro River, then turn right going to Kauswagan. On the left side, right after the water district office, you turn left. It’ll lead to a dirt road, and when you hit the end, you turn left, and that’s where BROCKENHAUS is.

8. darwin on August 31st, 2012 10:54 am

hi! ive stumbled on your blog and find it really informative and nice!
    would like to get in contact with you to share some sources for coffee related stuff… i hope you can email me at odarwin1981 at yahoo dot com. sorry i cant seem to find any contact info on your site…